My Theory on New Year's Resolutions....

Year after year it happens. The holidays come we eat a little more, we stress a little more, and we neglect our routine. Then New Year's Eve weekend rolls around, and we start to think, "Man, I need to get myself back in gear...work starts on Monday, and I have completely gotten off track." That's when the generic (I say generic because these are the resolutions most people set into play) plans for the New Year sink in...

This year I plan to...

  • lose 20 pounds 
  • go to the gym 4 times a week 
  • eat less carbs 
  • get organized 
  • stop drinking during the week 
  • create a budget and stick to it 
The list goes on and on. The trend for most of us centers around diet, money, and organization (stress management included). Which don't get me wrong, these are all great goals to focus on, but realistically, the majority of people cannot seem to stick to them. Then, disappointment sinks in and we become mad at ourselves for our failures. So how can we break this trend? What is there to possibly do to help us stay on track? 

This is where my theory of one word resolutions comes in...

I am just like the majority of people. My goals usually include my health, my wealth, and my sanity (which also intertwines with my business). A few years ago, I was driving (I am not sure where, but I usually have my best ideas when I drive, or when I am about to go to bed) and a thought popped into my head. A word actually. It was "discipline." One "thing" I have always lacked was discipline. I am not the type of person who usually thinks about things too much. I want to eat a cookie, well I am going to eat a cookie. I want to buy a new shirt, I buy the new shirt. It is usually after the transaction has occurred and when there is no turning back that I realize, "Hmmm that cookie doesn't really fit into my low carb diet." "That shirt wasn't really on the budget for this week, now I am going to have to cut something else out." Then I get mad at myself. It is a classic scenario in my life. So how can I fix the problem? Sure, I have my vision board with my goals, things I want to work towards and attract, but how can I really keep myself accountable? Well my friends, that is where the word comes into play. For me, discipline settles into all of my categories: health, wealth and sanity. So rather than focusing on three vastly different (but yet connected) items, I focus on the word. I think about the definition, what it means, why it is important, and how can I work towards this word in every aspect of my life? By keeping the word posted in a place you will see, and on your mind, it just seems to help. Maybe there is some scientific reason (or not), but it just seems a lot less daunting to focus on a word rather than focus on my multiple "resolution to-do list." And, you want to know what? I have been a lot better about staying on track.

Last year my word was "no." You might think the word no is not very positive...Well actually for me it is. I am the kind of person that will say "yes" to things I have no business saying yes to, and that usually causes me stress. I often don't think about the repercussions of saying yes to things, and how it affects me. For example, when a client asks for a discount, I say, "yes." Then I hang up the phone, and I am instantly mad at myself. My mind starts to yell,  You devalued yourself, how can you feel good about charging people one price and someone else another, it isn't fair. Now as a result, I am not meeting my sales goals because of this decision, and now my budget is off. Then, I am so upset that I don't want to do as great of a job as I would if the client paid me full price. It is a ripple affect, and the list of repercussions that come into play is limitless. So that is one of the MANY reasons why my word last year was "no." It is ok to say no to things. And sometimes that is hard to understand. I actually brutally re-learned this lesson towards the end of last year during my busiest season. I had no business saying yes to an incredibly last minute project, and guess what? It blew up in my face. So again, I am driving down the road and I give myself a not-so-pep talk. "Allie, why did you say yes? Your gut told you no, your husband told you no, your entire being told you no, and yet you said yes and it burned you." I guess the silver-lining in this situation though, was that I learned an incredibly valuable lesson, and I was reminded why having and utilizing my word is SO important.

Which leads my to this year...I was driving down the road (yet again...I told you my best ideas...), and I was still feeling the angst from my "saying yes" story, and Katy Perry's song "Roar" came on the radio. I immediately turn it up, start singing, and then BAM! The lyrics are ringing in my ear: "I got the eye of the tiger, a fighter, dancing through the fire, 'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar, Louder, louder than a lion, 'Cause I am a champion and you're gonna hear me roar!!" Suddenly, I knew what my word was, CHAMPION. This year I am going to be the CHAMPION of my health, my wealth, and my sanity. I am going to overcome my health obstacles by staying the course, I am going to kick butt at accomplishing my financial goals, and I am going to use my voice to say no to things, stay centered, and brush off the yuck. Let me tell you, I am pumped about this year. And should I ever deter from the path, I will blast that song until I remember where it is I am headed. 

Now with all of this in mind, I ask you, what is your word? What is a common theme in your life that is throwing you off your game? How can you stay on track? 

I would love to hear from you! Leave me a comment, or better yet, take to social media and share your word to help encourage others. Use the hashtag #onewordresolutions 


Cheers to 2016! Let's make this year great! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Ginger Travels :: St. Lucian Vacation

Healing in the New Year

Blossoms by Ginger :: Easy Garden DIY